Monday, July 7, 2008

Archangel climbing

After warming up on Raina and Peeking, watching Spain win the Euro Cup Soccer Final, and assembling our gear, Felipe and I went to Archangel for some rock climbing and hiking.



Showing some Basque blood....



On the first day we went up to the Gargoyle above camp, something I'd been curious about for quite awhile. Spare yourself the hike, we didn't think much of it. So instead we hiked up the ridge to the top of this peak:



Phony-looking summit photo:



Pretty worthless after a day of climbing and a good meal !!



The next day it was raining so we went for a hike to Reed Lakes. Lower was still mostly frozen:



Upper was locked in winter still (June 30!!)



Lynx Peak:



Good Hope Towers to the right have my attention - they're on the list for an ascent this year sometime:



We did actually get some rock climbing done, including the slabs on the Monolith, my normal routine on the Slot and Zig-Zag, and then humped up to the Aurora Slab and Yellow Brick Road. Felipe was stoked to lead the slab and I led YBR, apparently for the first time because I had to dust the moss and dirt off EVERY hold, making it a particularly nervy, rather than just fun 5.9. Great stuff, and I'm feeling a bit better on rock this year than last.

No comments: